Sunday, November 05, 2006

pacer

Afternoon Leg Stretch 16" x 20"

Done! I waited 'til the last minute, as usual, but I have finally finished this painting for an art exhibition/competition at Fraser Downs, a local harness track. I first heard about it last year when my good friend, Michelle, entered (and I blogged at length about her shipping crate, not to mention her trophy boyfriend at a much later date), and won the $500 second prize with her large, beautifully framed, highly professional piece. Now, seeing as Michelle's painting (pictured below) was done by a seasoned, sought-after and famous-in-equine-art-circles artist (she has also designed coins for The Royal Canadian Mint) and this is only my second equine subject in, oh, about 20 years, I realise that I'm being a wee bit optimistic, but the lure of the $1000 first prize is strong at a time when I need to make money. Besides, she's not entering (hee hee). If nothing else, it at least forced me to paint outside my self-imposed box, both stylistically and creatively, for a few days, and I always find that helpful in re-charging my creative batteries.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.

Heather sent me.

Your work is amazing!

5/11/06 3:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great "out side of the box" painting ! :)

5/11/06 8:01 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

good luck, andrea. i'm always rooting for you!

5/11/06 9:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arg, computer ate my comment, so here we go again -- lovely horse, including your signature color and underlying layers of paint... it is always so nice to break away and switch gears, do something different. Here is to small bouts of change!

Pss, that Shower Stall is pretty darn amazing.......

5/11/06 10:12 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

not only painting outside the line but outside the box too? Brilliant!

I love the way you've layered the colours and got cool and warm making like a yin-yang symbol...

6/11/06 12:09 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Andrea, this has such wonderful action and color! There's so much excitement in that horse...dare I say it looks quite "spirited"? I'm voting for you!

6/11/06 2:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget that your horse has four shoes. That's sure to bring you some luck.

6/11/06 3:26 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the competition. Brilliant use of colour!

6/11/06 11:07 a.m.  
Blogger Bibi said...

Good luck Andrea! I'm rooting for you!!

6/11/06 2:42 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's aways good to step out of the box and go for it. Wonderful color, form and composition.
Good Luck!

6/11/06 4:08 p.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

This I like very much. I'll place my bets on you.

word verification: sulky3

6/11/06 6:48 p.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

Brian keeps telling me that whatever I want to comment here is sucky. I say he's sulky.

6/11/06 7:21 p.m.  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

Good luck to you Andrea. Wow! Amazing the details on that horse!

6/11/06 8:54 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an incredible painting! Congrats! I hope you win!

7/11/06 11:42 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

7/11/06 5:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've done a fabulous job on this. I like the fact that your style takes this from the realm of ordinary and giives it vibrancy.

7/11/06 11:54 p.m.  
Blogger Zig said...

a fantastic painting - you can really see that horse moving - I do hope you win!

8/11/06 10:30 a.m.  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I love your paintings. I am a kind of lurker here. I come, admire and retreat without saying anything. Sometimes I do not find any words to say. This time I had too...

No use admiring without letting you know. Consider me one of your fans...

9/11/06 7:17 a.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Hey Andrea...

After our email exchange tonight, I just had to come back here and have a second look...

This is beautiful, rich and real...and shows your diversity and talent in a new light.

10/11/06 6:06 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

you did a beautiful job on that horse!!! i hope you win

11/11/06 9:27 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home