Friday, November 03, 2006

cahoots

In September I was flipping through the latest copy of the Opus Newsletter and came across an article about a new quarterly magazine called cahoots. It sounded like something I'd enjoy -- an alternative women's magazine ("it is about diversity, critical thought, and engaging conversation") with lots of arts content -- because I have absolutely zero interest in mainstream women's rags, but do like to sit down with a magazine on occasion. (On the other hand I would be addicted to People and Hello magazines if I allowed myself to buy them; I actually look forward to visiting the dentist and often choose the longest grocery-store queue so I can catch up on such all-important reading ... did I just say that out loud?) But, as usual, I promptly forgot after putting down the newsletter. Then Heather at Fumbling for Words mentioned it to me (she's writing an article for the magazine on blogging) and I paid attention this time.

Long story short, I have been invited to be the feature artist for the spring issue. Each issue has a theme and next spring's is 'many cultures'. I got my sample issue a couple of days ago and it's great: smart, topical and entertaining. A brief description from the website:

cahoots intends to be a place for diverse, original, strong, humorous, fearless writing about things – such as work, health, home, life, the world – that really matter to women. As well as printing articles, cahoots also prints fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and beautiful visual art. We invite reader response and have nine regular columnists who comment on everything from pop culture to physical health issues. cahoots is a truly original title in tone, focus, and content.

Visit the website for more information and to get a sample issue or subscribe.

18 Comments:

Blogger tlchang said...

Congrats! Your visibility is spreading far and wide! I'm happy for you.

3/11/06 11:43 a.m.  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Oh I'm so glad, glad, GLAD! I just KNEW you would be perfect for it! Too bad we won't appear in the same edition. :-)

It really is an awesome magazine - one of the only ones I read cover to cover when it arrives in my house.

3/11/06 2:50 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations!!

3/11/06 4:50 p.m.  
Blogger LDahl said...

Oh Wow! Congratulations!!!!!!!

3/11/06 4:50 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is such wonderful news! It sounds like just the sort of publication I would absolutely adore. You deserve all of the wonderful things that will come of this exposure!!

3/11/06 5:25 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

What great news - well done!

4/11/06 12:22 a.m.  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I loved hearing about being a featured artist in what sounds like a great publication AND your People Magazine at the dentist confession. I'm the same way. THis does sound like a remarkable magazine. I wonder if they are available in the U.S.

4/11/06 1:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you'll have plenty time to get something magnificient ready for the spring issue!
Well done!

4/11/06 2:42 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Hey! That's excellent...you go, girl!

4/11/06 4:08 a.m.  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

That's fabulous. I'd best get me some more of that art whilst I can still afford it x

4/11/06 5:10 a.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

that is SO great! and i love the word cahoots. that has always been a big one in our family. CONGRATS! wonderful...

4/11/06 5:34 a.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

hmmm,,, I'm sort of about the Home Companion, and Country Living, and Christmas Ideas type of mags. Now that I "know" two brilliant women who are talking about the same mag, I guess I'll just HAVE to check it out.

4/11/06 6:28 a.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Fantastic news, Andrea. The word is spreading...

4/11/06 6:57 a.m.  
Blogger Zig said...

just found you via WW and your art is wonderful - how great for you to be featured in a mag that you like and can identify with.

4/11/06 8:36 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for all the words of support, everyone. I feel so lucky to be part of such a great virtual community.

4/11/06 8:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cahoots me hooty, thats fantastic, well done. xx

4/11/06 9:22 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

This kind of this makes me really excited. When things start to happen; hell, they've been happening for you already; let's say when ever-larger things happen, it's a really intense feeling. Your virtual community can feel it too. We want this for you, and we are so proud.
I can't wait to see that spring issue. I'm starting to imagine the colours. Blues, reds, silver...and that wonderful underpainting showing through...just marvelous.

4/11/06 7:17 p.m.  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

That's so cool! Congratulations. Man, Canada's got such great stuff! And great artists! :)

6/11/06 8:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home