Tuesday, October 17, 2006

roger clyne unplugged

Easy


A break from the usual claptrap today -- I have some good drugs to push.

I have been a fan of Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers for a couple of years now and being such a low-key, non-mainstream band whose keys audiences are primarily of the southwestern variety (they're from Arizona) I may never have a chance to see them live. There's nothing unusually distinctive about them but Clyne's songwriting is in turns funny (tequila features prominently), moving, witty and often character-driven, the melodies are strong, I love his voice, and they are a very tight band in the southwestern country/rock tradition. The weird thing is that the only other country/rock band I even like is Canada's Blue Rodeo, so this genre is way outside my usual taste.

The Peacemakers are a bar/smaller venue band. The only videos I could find were concert footage on YouTube and the technical quality is pretty bad; this acoustic, solo version of Easy is the best of the bunch but doesn't even start to give you an idea of how good they are as a band. Check out the 2004 album ¡Americano!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I just had a chance now to listen and watch the video...it wouldn't play at school. You're right about his voice. Powerful and raw. I'd like to be there having a few drinks and listening to a set or two.

17/10/06 3:37 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for new music, thanks for pointing me in this direction.

17/10/06 5:38 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Its funny how tastes can be so selective isn't it. Shows this whole genre thing is really a marketing ploy to tell us what we'll like rather than letting us discover what we'll like.

18/10/06 12:24 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Brian: We should swap Stephen Fearing/Roger Clyne CDs.

Krista: My pleasure, ma'am.

Caroline: Excellent observation -- and it explains my eclectic musical taste.

18/10/06 12:01 p.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I'm in.

18/10/06 5:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home