Monday, October 02, 2006

memory and narrative 2


My Life As A House
24" x 24"

This week the exhibition Memory and Narrative opens at Place des Artes, a public space in Coquitlam, BC. I recenty joined Leap Visual Arts Collective, a group of local artists who often exhibit together. This is the group statement for the show:

Few questions have a longer, deeper, and livelier intellectual history than how we 'construct' our lives--and, indeed, how we create ourselves in the process. What makes people want to preserve the stories of their past? What methods can be used to construct or package these narratives? Can memories offer different ways of looking at a past event? Or help us to re-remember and control its place in our lives? Can people's narrative accounts tell us something about their identity and lives?

Each artist agreed to create several works to match the theme, plus contribute to a group project. More about that one later.

I decided to paint three medium-sized house paintings for my personal contribution. Yesterday's post illustrates one, another is here, and this is the third. It illustrates a new house followed by some of its metamorhoses over the decades as it is renovated and/or neglected. If you can stand another artist's statement, here is my personal statement:

Memory and Narrative: Stories (the past)
Traditional and historical methods of recording and reconstructing the past have a strong relationship to place. In the past, one’s country, ‘hometown’, neighbourhood and dwelling place all played deeply important roles in the creation of identity and therefore memory during a time when travel and immigration were the exception rather than the rule. Unlike today, the family home could exist over many generations, with the expectation that it would continue to do so. A house with this kind of history is a place rich with family stories and memories. My fascination with painting early 20th century Vancouver houses stems from an interest in the layered, ‘storied’ nature of the histories within the walls of these houses.

If you happen to live in the Vancouver area, the opening reception is Thursday, October 5th at Place des Artes from 7:30 until 9:30.

18 Comments:

Blogger WithinWithout said...

The vivid colour just jumps out, Andrea, and the narrative is so true...

Brings me a warm feeling, the passage of time and continuity and change...

2/10/06 5:17 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love old homes and always imagine the stories they could tell. As I uncover things in my home my imagination takes over. wonderful colors and feelings

2/10/06 6:13 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

i'm am falling, falling in love yet again with your work, andrea. and your wise writing matches your comforting houses.

what else can i say?

:)

2/10/06 6:58 p.m.  
Blogger Bibi said...

...I've said it before, but I just love your use of color! Just think what those old homes, passed on to younger generations, must have seen.

2/10/06 7:43 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

WW: This obsession with older houses may be the latent architect in me (my great-grandfather's great-granddaughter?), but more I think it's the mother. And I really hope you post about 196 Kitson.

Toni: Are you the type that's good at creating memory items -- books, etc? i bet you are with your amazing calligraphy skills.

KJ: You always say just the right thing! :) Who could ask for more?

Bibi: I would love to live in an old house with all that memory rather than a suburban '60s house. Maybe one day...

2/10/06 8:47 p.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

I very much enjoyed both artist statements. I've always wondered what our attraction to the past stems from? A feeling of connection, or desire for one? I love old homes, old buildings, old stones, old ruins, old cemetaries...

Love the house progression (and glad it has a 'happy ending'!)

2/10/06 9:51 p.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

Is this place for rent? I'd like to make a memory or two in there.
What lovely work.

3/10/06 5:41 a.m.  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

I so wish I could be at the opening to see these beauties in person.

3/10/06 10:26 a.m.  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

I love these, so will Vancouver x

3/10/06 12:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sunny one, please!

3/10/06 1:27 p.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

You've reminded me of a kids' book I used to read and re-read my kids called, I think, 'This House'. It covers the lives of 4 families who live in the house since it first built about 150 years before. It's charming! Almost as charming as your houses here.

3/10/06 2:19 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Tara: Thanks -- I sweat blood over artist's statements, so to create something unpretentious yet clear and intelligent is a major goal.

Hildarose: No computer phobia here! :)

Joyce: Me, too!

Angela: It's only a short commute...

Cherrypie: Thank you. But will they like my pc?

Cream: That's my favourite, too.

Nomad: I love the sound of that book. I'm going to do a little web search for it now.

3/10/06 3:05 p.m.  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

amazing vivid colors and i luv the details poured into each piece. luv the contrast in colors and the places where the house stood.

4/10/06 12:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love old Victorian houses, as well. They make me swoon. I love to peek in when I am on a walk in the evening, when the inside lights have been turned on.

Your paintings make me swoon, as well.

4/10/06 9:24 a.m.  
Blogger Calvin said...

Ahhhh.These make me feel happy, especially the second one with the pretty sun. :)

4/10/06 6:19 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have fun tonight, wish I was there.

5/10/06 10:03 a.m.  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

Andrea, It is a short commute, and someday I will make it up there. And when I do, I will seek out your art!

9/10/06 9:13 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your work! I wish I could have one of your artworks to place in my own home. c",)

Enjoying your blog! Keep at it!

10/10/06 2:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home