Monday, April 17, 2006

this art stinks

Get your mind out of the gutter! This isn't a gratuitous jab at Bad Art, but a look at a world of undiscovered creativity right under our noses. We've all had those slightly-unbelievable images of sidewalk art floating into our inboxes for years (I hate those, and Bert from Mary Poppins would certainly be holding his nose) but all along, who knew that the true god of road art was in the details?

I am all over these manhole covers. There's everything here from beauty to the beast. They run the gamut from beautiful fish art on sewer covers in Japan (how appropriate) to the ubiquitous manhole covers I grew up with in West Vancouver. After looking at an amazing selection of them from just one burg (yours is probably there, too), this is the one I remember seeing more than any other. I must've spent a lot of time looking for lost change while I was growing up.

Now that Rudy has made me aware of this amazing underworld and I have an actual PayPal account, I am holding myself back from ordering one of these. I especially like the one from London. These don't even have prices on them so they must be the most au courant thing in the ghetto.

But what really stinks is that someone got there before me. Oh well. If I can't become a gutter artist then I guess that means I'll have more time to ponder one of the truly great philosophical questions.

13 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Those are brilliant. They're also beautiful. And too right about it being irritating about someone else getting there first.

I've just thought of some 'art memes' that may be interesting to try:

1. take pics of manhole covers where you live.

2. take pics of old signs/faded signs that you sometimes see on the back or sides of buildngs that are either abandoned or are now being used for other purposes. Obviously, there's much more of this sort of thing in the UK than in 'newer countries' like Canada and S Africa although I know of several places in Cape Town to find such things.

3. pictures of interesting/beautiful doorways.

4. pictures of interesting/beautiful nameplates.

You can see that I have access to a camera now. :-)

18/4/06 1:05 a.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

They wouldn't last too long here. Many of the old cast iron covers have been stolen and sold for scrap metal (and have had to be replaced with covers made from polymer concrete or some other material with no resale value).

18/4/06 2:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ! Really beautiful ! :)

18/4/06 5:23 a.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

i love the everyday art of it all andrea. good find to see beauty in the working areas of our lives too...
hey! those kittys are spiffy! and someone snagged them already...
yea!

18/4/06 6:27 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Interesting that one of your examples breaks the rule...

18/4/06 9:50 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Nomad: I love your ideas. Intersetingly enough, I did the interesting/beautiful doorways one pre-digital, but now that you remind me I want to do it all over again. Wish I lived in a more interesting part of town.

Kyknoord: Wow. Makes sense when you think about it.

Sheri & Susan: There's beauty and design in the most unusual places, isn't there? I love art added to things with a practical purpose.

Caroline: ? What rule? Which one?

18/4/06 10:10 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

they are probably round so that every kind of man can fit? Like a very large man or one that had a very large meal!hehe I have always loved the old time manhole covers they are beautiful!!!

18/4/06 10:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting finds! well I just hope nobody would steal 'em, O heard in some countries they do.. or else there's gonna be a man inside those holes! hihi ^_^ hugs

18/4/06 3:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are very cool. I always thought it would be neat to have one of these in the center of our "formal/guest" bathroom floor...kinda give it an edge so to speak.
a.

18/4/06 4:58 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Val: The old ones, especially like the ones in the streets of Paris are fantastic.

Irvine: :)

Andrea: I know! I want one of those too!

19/4/06 6:43 p.m.  
Blogger josep-manel said...

Hi again ;-)

Visit this blog from a blogger coleague.
I think that it will be interesting for you.
Hugs !!
dib ;-)

http://www.rafaalcantarillas.blogspot.com/

23/4/06 1:27 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks, Dibuixat. I enjoyed that link!

23/4/06 6:57 a.m.  
Blogger The Unknown said...

Beauty is all I see. ;-p
love

29/4/06 11:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home