Wednesday, April 05, 2006

a literary meme

I got this over at Sultry Painter Woman's Journal to a Muse. I didn't do as well as she did, but it was a fun exercise anyway.

Meme instructions: Look at the list of books below. Bold the ones you've read, italicize the ones you might read, cross out the ones you won't, underline the ones on your book shelf, and place parentheses around (or strike through) the ones you've never even heard of.

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown - ready and waiting
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - just heard of it recently so not sure if I will or if I won't
(His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J. K. Rowling - I've only read the first three so far
Life of Pi - Yann Martel - mustmustmust read
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon - just got this one out of the library!
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
1984 - George Orwell - I've read most Orwell, was once a huge fan
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J. K. Rowling
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini - another must-read
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
(The Secret History - Donna Tartt)
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C. S. Lewis
(Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides)
(Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell)
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Atonement - Ian McEwan - only read one Ian McEwan, always wanted to read more
(The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon)
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Dune - Frank Herbert


Zulu, who's hoping to go on holiday as a stowaway
(maybe we won't notice that she's in the suitcase)

13 Comments:

Blogger kyknoord said...

Most impressive, although I have to mention that it's difficult for me to focus on the rest of your entry when you post a picture of your cat. She's beautiful.

5/4/06 11:47 p.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

oh what a list!
cute kitty andrea!

6/4/06 6:01 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

She is a gorgeous creature, has that ticked tabby coat and the sort of personality that makes me think she's got a lot of Abyssinian in her, though we got her at a shelter. She loves to ride shoulders and backs (she's a little thing), but refuses to sit in laps.

6/4/06 6:46 a.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Nice list of classical English modern litterature. Except PI, which has been written in French. I've read many of those nice books! And I should read all the others... :) Zulu is SOOOO CUUUUTE! She has the face of Princesse and the coat or Merlin! I did not remember you had a cat. I thought you only had a dog! Nice surprise!

6/4/06 7:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow now that is a list! Some of those are pretty hefty reads. You did much better than I. Loved your adorable cat in your suitcase. Oh please take him along...look at that face! :)
a.

6/4/06 7:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had the chance to read any books in a long, long while ! Adorable Cat !

6/4/06 8:15 a.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

DaVinci code is coming out on a movie .. hope u've seen the trailer. I loved the book and cant wait for the movie

Your cat is cute ..

6/4/06 10:30 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Tee hee I've posted my version now! Thank you! I had to learn how to strike out and underline just to do it...


We have a lot in common...

6/4/06 11:56 a.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

That's a great list of books. I heartily recommend 'The Secret History' (don't bother about her second novel) and 'Middlesex'. And, while I loved 'The Bell Jar' when I was an angst-ridden teenager, I suspect I may not like it now.

I see that the beautiful kitty's hair matches that of the beautiful Andrea!

6/4/06 1:29 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

MP: Doesn't Yann Martel live in Montreal?

Mrs. Edwards and Sheri: I read the majority of them many years ago when I had no kids, no pets, no huge garden, you name it. Now all I have is no life.

Nabeel: I've mostly heard negative things about the Da Vinci code (the book) from the holier-than-thou. It may, indeed, be crap but I don't believe you can deny soemthing that's had such a huge impact on our current culture so I hope to read the book *and* see the movie.

Caroline: Indeed we do, and I still don't know how to strike out.

Nomad: I take that as a true compliment as I know you have no ulterior motive -- unless you're actually pointing out my grey hair, that is! :)

6/4/06 9:43 p.m.  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

You've inspired me. I've just been over at Melora's and pinched her library idea. I'm gonna borrow this meme now too. I do hope you don't mind.

I won't be copying any of your gorgeous art creations though because the only thing I can draw is a long hat bath after a trying day. xx

10/4/06 11:24 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Borrow away. And what's a hat bath? Something you do if you have a dirty mind? :)

10/4/06 2:26 p.m.  
Blogger vfm4 said...

ah, and here... :-)

29/4/06 2:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home