Saturday, April 01, 2006

art education

In the past few days I have discovered two interesting blogs that seem to touch the two ends of the experience spectrum in the art world.

Susan at
Art Esprit is an established artist, curator and gallery owner who is absolutely as passionate as you can get about the visual arts. Her blog is full of variety and visual delights. She regularly profiles other artists and I was lucky enough to get the nod this time. She is someone who has followed her passion.

Brock at Caviar Gallery is an artist and student who is at the initial exploration stage: do I follow my passion? If so, how? He is grappling with a lot of the questions we all face at the start of our creative/work lives. Like Susan, there is plenty to see and think about at his blog.

Happy reading!

This painting is hanging in my living room, but vertically (I can't remember how I painted it and didn't sign it!). It's a 24" x 36" oil painting I did while at university and, amazingly, has survived all my culling raids. Can you see the dead horse sliding downhill?

8 Comments:

Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Hi Andrea! Ooh, I can't decide which meat hat I want -- I think I'll get them all! (ha! where do you FIND these things?!)
Also, really enjoyed reading about your process and philosophy at Susan's site. Acrylic, eh? I bet that was a tough transition. I love oils so much, and every time I try I acrylics my mind and paintbrush rebel. But then I see paintings I love and would swear are oils and find out they're acrylic, so I know it can be done.

1/4/06 9:00 a.m.  
Blogger Tammy said...

Love your pic - just speaks of laughter and life!!!!

1/4/06 9:39 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I just read the interview and liked it - did it help you to see yourself too?

1/4/06 11:05 a.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

Thank you for the kind words Andrea! I hope many people pass through the blog to see the interview and your lovely work. Your work is inspiring and exhilirating to me!

-Susan

1/4/06 12:04 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Laini: I have promised myself that when I have an extra buck or two to spend on art supplies that I will invest in oil paints again. There is nothing quite as luminous as the surface of an oil painting, or as sensuous to work with.

Tammy: thanks

Caroline: It was interesting but I'm still just as clueless about me as ever! :)

Susan: No. Thank *you*. I've had some extra response from the interview so thank you for doing it.

2/4/06 8:12 a.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

you are entirely welcome my dear!
yes those oils are sensuous...but with the miracle of Golden mediums, me is lost in the acrylic land....
i still do my underpainting with oils though! and some works go back and forth.
love the Goldens though.

2/4/06 9:07 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Andrea the Clueless - sounds like a sort of super power!

3/4/06 8:29 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Very nice interview and post!

3/4/06 11:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home