Tuesday, March 14, 2006

paintings by numbers


Thanks for everyone's feedback yesterday on the triptych. You have no idea how useful it is to me, painting here in my vacuum. My original destination for the triptych was to be a charity/social event this coming September, called Paintings by Numbers. It is an annual event put on as a fundraiser for the venerable Federation of Canadian Artists and is quite a gathering of artists and art lovers. Sixty artists are invited to donate a painting worth at least $500, then sixty tickets are sold for $500 each. The purchasers are then issued a number. On the evening of the event, everyone is wined and dined and a lottery takes place. The first ticket drawn means the buyer gets first choice of all 60 artworks, and so on down the line. It is apparently a fun social event, a fantastic opportunity for buyers because, as you can imagine, most artists will produce something worth well over $500 in an effort to be chosen early if they're less well known (and if they're more well known then their paintings are already worth more), and great for the artists, too, because the exposure their art gets amongst the buying crowd is fabulous. And it's all for a good cause, of course.

Needless to say, I wanted to produce something really different, yet with a fairly broad appeal. I know, I know ~ that's like trying to thread an elephant through the eye of a needle. I'm not sure this triptych fits part two of my mandate, but as I only have a couple of weeks left to produce my entry (early deadline) I'm panicking with indecision. As usual.



photos taken in downtown Vancouver on Sunday, from behind the wheel

7 Comments:

Blogger Cream said...

Andrea, I've just spent ages looking at the paintings by numbers site! Amazing artwork! So many to see! So many to love!
Thanks for sharing!

14/3/06 10:48 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

Is this your first year being invited to contribute? Sounds like an excellent opportunity, even if you're not paid for it. I imagine, like you said, it's a great opportunity to advertise seeing as your contribution is not only viewed that evening, but is on permanent display as a contribution on their website. I'm sure the triptych will be a good pick, probably one of the first to go, I'm sure. :)

14/3/06 11:19 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I forgot to ask if the artists also attend this fancy dinner evening?

14/3/06 11:20 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

I do think it is healthy for an artist to look at their work with the most objective eye as possible, haha that being said I know that is a stretch, but if you are like me (to many voices in my head) our blogs provide us with that objective eye we desparately need sometimes. This benefit sounds wonderful! A lucky person will walk away with your tryptich!

14/3/06 1:57 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Hmm... should I buy a ticket for this do?

I love the triptych and think it is definitely good enough if that is what you are worrying about. If anything, you are underselling yourself.

14/3/06 2:16 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Cream: Amazing, isn't it? I'm very intimidated!

Brian: Yes, it's my first time and I was thrilled to be asked. And yes, the artists attend, too.

Val: Too many voices -- you nailed it.

Caroline: Shall I put you down for one or two? :) See you in September.

14/3/06 3:52 p.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

awesome .. now is this a photo with photoshop filters on it or did you paint the photo? yaa i see the dashboard and if painted why is the time 5 minutes to three?

Painting by Numbers is interesting .. have you heard about date painting?

15/3/06 4:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home