Friday, April 14, 2006

day and night painter

A few days ago I was surprised to discover that an artist I know who only lives about five minutes from me has a blog! I first met Barbara when I joined a local artist group a few years ago, and she was one of the executive. Just the act of writing that reminds me that, in my typical clueless fashion, I showed up to my first meeting at her house, never having met anyone, on the wrong night! I always make a good first impression. :)

The formal group dissolved eventually (I believe there are still a few artists who get together informally), and not being the joiner sort, I was a pretty slack-arse sort of member, but the one thing I remember best about the group was that it was Barbara's art that left the strongest impression on me, more than any of the other art ... or even any of the people! (Lousy joiner, remember?) She has been working on a series, With Sturdy Shoes, for a couple of years now and each painting is better than the last. Her use of design and symbolism are really quite powerful, and the work is so much better in person. Visit Barbara's blog to see more.

painting: School Teacher With Sturdy Shoes

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really nice, I like it very much ! I also like the symbolism within it ! :) I will visit Barbara's site !

14/4/06 9:48 a.m.  
Blogger Barbara said...

Oh garsh Andrea ... you make me blush ... thanks for the positive commentary about my work!

14/4/06 12:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her work is awesome, how cool is that!
a.

14/4/06 4:17 p.m.  
Blogger ashley said...

Hi,

I'm new to reading this site. I stumbled upon you a few days ago, Adrea, and have been sharing your site with others... And then today to find Barbara's painting, well I'm in love again!!!

What a treat to have my webl world expanded (webl being the other half of the blog world!)

THANK YOU,
Ashley

14/4/06 7:36 p.m.  
Blogger Nabeel said...

aww thanks for the nice comments on my blog andrea :)

i am glad that u found a fellow artist .. that's so cool. I visited her blog, really nice work. The one that u've posted here .. hmm a mother .. (angelic perhaps) protecting her children .. is it more in terms of "Mother Earth" ?

i love it

15/4/06 9:43 p.m.  
Blogger Calvin said...

I love this one! It feels sooo Motherly! I want to jump in there with them. :) Great art!

19/4/06 7:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home