Thursday, December 15, 2005

winter on the west coast

As I stepped out of the house at 8:15 this morning, this astonishing sight was on the north-north-northwest horizon. About the time it disappeared, the sun appeared above the mountains in the southeast. For more on tonight's amazing full moon, check out Reluctant Nomad.

It was a chilly walk this morning, -2C (28F), but the steeply-angled sunlight on the frost was lovely.

This appeared in my inbox this morning. A little crack by those jealous easterners no doubt after we had our sprinkle of snow a week or two ago (I'd credit it if I knew the source):

Chilled Vancouver commuters faced their second day of winter hell today, as an additional ΒΌ centimeter of the peculiar white stuff fell, bringing the lower mainland to its knees and causing millions of dollars worth of damage to the marijuana crops. Scientists suspect that the substance is some form of frozen water particles and experts from Saskatchewan are being flown in. With temperatures dipping to the almost but not quite near zero mark,Vancouverites were warned to double insulate their lattes before venturing out. Vancouver police recommended that people stay inside except for emergencies,such as running out of espresso or biscotti to see them through Vancouver's most terrible storm to date. The local Canadian Tire reported that they had completely sold out of fur-lined sandals. Drivers were cautioned to put their convertible tops up, and several have been shocked to learn that their SUVs actually have four wheel drive, although most have no idea how to use it. Weary commuters faced soggy sushi, and the threat of frozen breast implants. Although Dr. John Blathermot, of the Coastal Health Authority reassured everyone that most breast implants were perfectly safe to 25 below, down-filled bras are flying off the shelves at Mountain Equipment Co-op."The government has to do something," snarled an angry Trevor Peaceburton."I didn't pay $540,000 for my one bedroom condo so I could sit around and be treated like someone from Toronto."

13 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

Wow! Have you noticed that there is a common color scheme among your last several posts, starting with the self portrait? Lots of blues with bits of orange...really pretty. It's extreemly cold here as well, but it does make for a gorgeous sky at night!

15/12/05 10:18 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Beautiful pix! Sounds like the person who wrote this has a case of sour grapes! I know they used to always call people that live in and around Toronto "God's frozen children".

15/12/05 12:51 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I'm glad I got a chance to check your blog this evening - this is a gorgeous moon. (And thanks for the link too - another stunning photo).

The moon hasn't looked quite so amazing here - but at least the BBC's Radio 4 PM news programme mentioned that the moon was going to be high tonight! Its not often that the moon makes the news here...

And that was a very funny comment on snow etc. thanks for passing it on!

15/12/05 1:08 p.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Those photos are amazing Andrea! Just stunning me!
For the cold I say Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
ROTFLMAO.
(We are supposed to have a SNOWSTORM tomorrow... And I have to go to wooooooooork) Yahou! I love storms. :o) (minus 15 celcius and windy winds) LOL

15/12/05 2:55 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Carla: Good observation! I never noticed. (And I bet it's colder than -2C there! :)

Val: You know that every chance we have to get a dig at Torontonians (and vice versa) is never wasted!

Caroline: Did you catch the moon?

Merlinprincesse: You are *way* tougher than me. Les personnes de Quebec are a cut above. (Excuse my French.)

15/12/05 7:06 p.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

If I were to guess at the source of your quote, I would say that it is from Rick Mercer's report...the part of his program where he rants as he is followed around by the camera. Very funny. I think we prairie Canadians can definately relate to this jab. I'm hoping for a snow day tomorrow as it has been blizzarding all day today.

15/12/05 8:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is funny! Had to laugh especially at the double-insulated latte comment, being from the Seattle area where lattes reign supreme. Love the photo of the moon, and the one of the frosted leaves turned out great! I am so inspired to get out with my camera, since we have had some beautiful, heavy frost in the mornings this week, too. I'll have to wait for the weekend since I leave and come home in the dark, commuting to the big city for my job.

16/12/05 5:52 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Brian: Rick Mercer! It sounds exactly like him, doesn't it? I love humour that pokes fun at our eccentricities. Hope you got snowed in today!

Nan: About the only place that's as much like Vancouver as Vancouver is Seattle: with slightly different accents and spelling and a much more sophisticated highway system!

16/12/05 6:42 a.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Now, it's 12:38 pm and the SNOWSTORM IS HERE. I am working (more or less). See outside. HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!! After all, we are not so tough!
Arghh!

16/12/05 9:39 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

The moon caught me! Ha ha hee hee...

16/12/05 1:49 p.m.  
Blogger WCTs said...

LOL love this post....funny at first I thought it was real!

The joke is on me. Love the insulated lattes. Very funny...oh and the fur lined sandels.

Sorry I have been out of touch...too much work.

Great to hear from you...I will go exploring through your blog! Glad you still enjoy my vintage pic. How about that hair net!

Lyn

16/12/05 2:40 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

lovely postings!

16/12/05 10:18 p.m.  
Blogger Mick said...

The photos are marvelous and the article hilarious. However, there's no sympathy for Torontonians here since, after they freeze, the ice cold air crossing the warmer waters of Ontario routinely dump snow at my house! We measure it in feet, by the by! 1/4 centimeters indeed!!!
:D

22/12/05 7:18 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home