Thursday, November 03, 2005

the burnished gold fish


the burnished gold fish

Though I haven't mentioned it, for the past couple of months I've been in a real slump. Fortunately it hasn't been a creative slump so much as a business slump, but both can leave the same shape of footprint on my butt. Every time I've ventured out into the cold, hard world of commerce I've been beaten back until I was starting to take it personally. Even my back-burner sure-things had gone south. Somewhere along the line I must've really done a number on my karma.

Today, however, I have news that a private art consultant (established and with corporate clients) may take me on (but I won't jinx it by saying anything ... doh!). Then I got a phone call from the FCA telling me that I'd won an award for my painting The Burnished Gold Fish (the title is a phrase from Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea) -- "The Peggy and Harry Evans Award" -- at the current Semi-Abstract juried show at the Federation Gallery. Click on the top image here to view the paintings in the show.

Neither of these bits of news puts bread in my pantry, but it's sure better than getting hate mail...

10 Comments:

Blogger Calvin said...

Try to beat the slump as best you can you are talented! Do you do you are full time for a living? If so that's awesome! I'd love to one day do photography full time. We shall see.

3/11/05 5:53 p.m.  
Blogger christina said...

Congratulations! And, that painting is exquisite. Trust that the right venues will find you. Your work is unique, inspiring, and so, so beautiful Andrea.

3/11/05 6:03 p.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Congrats! Hope I will see your works in the real world someday. Maybe in Québec??? HEHEHE...;o)

3/11/05 7:30 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I can see why you are encouraging me to try drawing fish!
This is gorgeous.

I'll put on my shaman-hat (now I wonder what that looks like??) and wish all that negative karma right out of your soul! And also for good order boost your luck.

(You can always wish me the same back - I bet it works best that way.)

Burnished Gold sounds like riches... so I think this means it will work out well!

4/11/05 3:30 a.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Congrats! I just thought you should know that the magic 8-ball is optimistic that we're both due for an upturn soon.

4/11/05 4:40 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Well, if my ego needed massaging I shoul've just come her to whinge/whine (depending on your side of the Atlantic). :) Seriously, though, thanks for the boost.

Calvin: not yet full-time and not yet for a living... sigh...

Christina and Merlinprincesse: thank you so much -- and no word from the QC gallery, Helene.

Caroline: I wish all that negative karma right out of your soul!! (I'm looking around to see if it worked yet.)

Kyknoord: the same for you as for Caroline, and I know you need it even more than I do so I'll give you an extra helping.

4/11/05 6:43 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is sooo beautiful!! Love the bright colour and the fishes!! Nice painting!

4/11/05 9:47 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you. Congratulations!

4/11/05 10:01 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

That's quite impressive, Andrea... There are some lovely works there, but your Burnished Gold Fish shines forth ('tis true; it's not just blogger's loyalty) from among them. I guess it's all part of a process. Just keep adding those feathers to your cap and soon they too will start turning to gold:>

4/11/05 5:30 p.m.  
Blogger diosaperdida said...

Oh my..this deserves recognition..and I'm NOT just saying it because I'm a fish freak!
It really IS wonderful.

7/11/05 6:59 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home