Sunday, October 09, 2005

art*o*mat

I discovered this project a few months ago and have been so amused/intrigued by the idea that I've gone back to look at the website several times. It's called the Art*o*Mat:
Art*o*mats are retired cigarette vending machines that have been converted to vend art. There are 76 active machines in various locations throughout the country. That country would be the US of A, to those of us who don't live there but wish our own country had such a fantastic way to recycle these retro monsters -- artworks in their own right. From the website:

Artists in Cellophane (A.I.C.), the sponsoring organization of Art*o*mat®, is based on the concept of taking art and "repackaging" it to make it part of our daily lives. The mission of A.I.C. is to encourage art consumption by combining the worlds of art and commerce in an innovative form. A.I.C believes that art should be progressive, yet personal and approachable. What better way to do this, than with a heavy cold steel machine?

Here are two of the things you might get after hearing that satisfying ker-plunk (the first made by Steve Upton, the second by Cheryl Frances):



4 Comments:

Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Such a wonderful idea! Americans should export it!!!!!!! I would sell and buy....

9/10/05 10:37 a.m.  
Blogger karla said...

What a great idea! I'm an American and have never heard of it. Maybe Dallas isn't artsy enough for the cool stuff.

9/10/05 4:02 p.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

So when you go into art withdrawal and there isn't a gallery in sight, you look out for one these babies?

9/10/05 11:30 p.m.  
Blogger Sonja . / ) said...

Hi Andrea. I read about this some time ago and I SO wish I could bump into one of those machines... but I'm on the other side of the globe, so chances are smalllll. Dig it though.

By the way, your blog is really happening! Excellent.

Sonja

10/10/05 10:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home