Wednesday, July 29, 2009

boey


I see more and more art that relies as much on using a novel 'support' as it does on unique imagery. It's like a low-brow, pop-art hybrid between conceptual and visual art. I found this here but there's more about Boey here.

Styrofoam – or, rather, the foam products most people refer to as “Styrofoam” – gets a bad rap: It's cheap. Disposable. Never degrades. The coffee cup you toss away today will still be polluting some ocean or landfill after your grandchildren die.

About the only time it makes the news is when some city bans its use – as more than 20 California cities have done. Or when some art auction sells a cup with a dead ladybug in it for $29,900 – as happened in 2001. All of which makes the simple, 4-cent cup the epitome of Pop Art. It's at once kitschy and unhip and dismissed by all.

Boey also has a unique blog. I wish I'd thought of this idea! Maybe I'll steal it as a way to resucitate this space. Not yet, though, as all you'd get right now is a lot of "Damn it's hot here. It's so hot. WTF -- this is supposed to be the Pacific Northwest. I'm so hot."

I have to go and cool off now.

4 Comments:

Blogger dinahmow said...

Woo-hoo! Right up there with CD cases, brown paper bags and sneakers!

(And howsabout you an' me do a little weather-trading? I'm f-f-f-reezing!)

29/7/09 4:16 p.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Boey's blog is cool - wish I had thought of it too!

I'll trade some weather with you too - we are having an unseasonably cool week - only 53 degrees F right now...and NW rainy.

30/7/09 7:33 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

I will trade weather with ANYONE right now. Hottest day since records started being kept (late 1800s) here yesterday. More of the same today. What I wouldn't give for some A/C right now.

30/7/09 10:23 a.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

Hey, I did think of that, just far too lazy to execute it. A wacom tablet would be a must have. That's all I can say because... the computer is about to catch fire in this ARMAGEDDON like heat! WTF indeed.

31/7/09 1:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home