Friday, February 13, 2009

wondering and enjoying

I was inspired by Heather's recent post to do something similar. I'm afraid to use bullets, though, after my last post. It looks OK to me in an updated version of Firefox on a pc, but does it look weird to you?

I'm wondering about the value of continuing my Small Art blog with no effort at (or plans for) marketing. I posted this yesterday anyway, but since I'm averaging only three hits a day how will I ever actually sell anything?



I'm enjoying Adam's newly-discovered passion for drama as he works on final rehearsals for his school's production of Romeo and Juliet next week. (I'm not enjoying sitting in a car in winter, waiting for the loosely-interpreted end of each rehearsal, though.)

I'm wondering about the value of spending $1400 on a new transmission for Greg's 1993 Nissan Quest when there are so many good deals out there right now. (I think we need a Honda Fit but they're not old enough to get a used one in North America yet and we can't afford to buy new or even slightly used.)

I'm enjoying this recent dry, bright weather. Last week I stepped out into my street at about 6 pm and got this shot down the hill. Who knew the industrial part of the river could look so scenic?

I'm wondering why insignificant crises (e.g. the breakdown of elderly automobiles or a child failing a class) create such anxiety but very real crises (e.g. wildfires and floods in Australia, famine and disease and government corruption in Africa) create so much calm and such heroic behaviour. Human nature stumps me sometimes.

I'm enjoying Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

I'm wondering why people who read dogs well are often so lousy at reading people. Jesse is a very manly little dog and with that studly alphaness around other dogs (no, he's not neutered yet and it's not my call) comes training issues. Assuming all service dog puppy raisers are nincompoops and answering very real concerns with "they're all like that" and "don't let him get away with anything" is not helping the puppy raiser (yes, me) or the dog.

I'm still enjoying lolcats and loldogs every day. I always know where to go to lift my spirits when they're at a low ebb (like right now).

13 Comments:

Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I really liked this post, Andrea. Maybe I'm feeling pensive and want things to think about. And I love the photo, it has a lovely early spring west coast feel to it. Let it be spring. Happy Valentine's Day to you.

13/2/09 4:21 p.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

That pink sky is gorgeous.

I also visit lolcats and loldogs and failblog. Especially when I need a giggle. (want to read something really funny? Behold the "10 more terrifyingly inspirational songs from the 80s". Hilarious (although somewhat naughty - be forewarned): http://www.cracked.com/article_15636_10-most-terrifyingly-inspirational-80s-songs.html )

And any time you want to head on down, I promise to put a pot of soup on.

13/2/09 10:48 p.m.  
Blogger Ed Maskevich said...

It was a pleasure meandering through your day.

14/2/09 6:33 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Hi Andrea

You've just added the third rat in a row to my current rat synchronicity series...

I didn't know I was collecting them until Jim, Teasel and I happened upon a very cocky one out walking in Bristol (though I was too slow to get its photo).

Then there was one rather unexpectedly on some TV prog...

And now here.. LOLRATZ!

14/2/09 6:41 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Ian: And to you! And like you -- I REALLY need spring to happen soon. I saw the beginnings of crocuses in my garden yesterday so there is hope!

Tara: I LOVE it! I have just forwarded it to a bunch of those who would appreciate it, too. Now I know why I miss the '80s! :)

Ed: I think I need to do more posts like this. Call it therapy.

Caroline: I love rats. I was looking at this video and trying to figure out why people hate/fear them so much.

14/2/09 7:59 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I'm commenting ONLY on the Honda Fit part of this post, so please forgive me if I've missed some or all or your intent here.

I am in nearly the same situation and I desparately am craving a Honda Fit, but the only ones I've found at a good price are in Texas or in Pennsylvania. Maybe we should both get one from the same dealer and do a road trip back to Canada. What fun!

14/2/09 2:16 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Brian: That WOULD be fun. I was just thinking how, with two separate drivers, you could listen to your own music, but then we like almost all the same music anyway and there would be no chance to nap. Oh well.

15/2/09 12:42 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Loving all your new works, i just love your paintings of trees and trees are one of my favourite things! Happy 2009 to you and yours and it looks like you are busy and doing so well :)

15/2/09 11:20 p.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

Yeah I agree about the small art blog.... mine has been slow also. Thinking of just posting it on my regular blog and if it goes it goes if not.........

17/2/09 5:42 a.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

That has certainly made me reconsider examining the Nurture/Nature debate.
I guess that's why we had to breed Dogs to kill Rats.

Your inspirational 80s songs made me realise how tacky the 80s were..seriously..did we think that all that stuff was cool?
Talk about hyperbole!

17/2/09 10:44 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Andrea, I love to hear about Jesse. It will be so hard to say goodbye to him. I read 'The Road' also and I still think about it sometimes. Grim to say the least.

18/2/09 11:54 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I've kept on meaning to reply to reply to my reply here -

I think some people don't like rats because of plague or being bitten... others just because they don't like mice and rats are VERY BIG mice!

18/2/09 11:39 p.m.  
Blogger Vicki said...

how will I ever actually sell anything?

Well, you just sold Morning Breeze; the money is being PayPalled to you.

Some of your work reminds me of Tom Thomson, of the Group of Seven (actually not part of the group, but their guide, and a contemporary). My husband is a great admirer of Thomson, so I think he will enjoy receiving your painting as his birthday gift in March

Vicki.

20/2/09 5:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home