Friday, January 16, 2009

garage sale

It's been a dark, foggy day and I've been sifting through my 2008 tax receipts and marvelling at how little money I actually made last year after expenses are calculated, in spite of a pretty good sales record. This paper-pushing exercise has generated a general stock taking as I pull out older paintings and ponder storage problems. Meanwhile, a couple of hours south of me, Angela has been doing something similar, so it all gave me an idea. Garage sale! I have a bunch of paintings that are different enough from my current style and/or subject matter that I have no intention of trying to sell or show them in the future and I need to make room for future masterpieces. Wanna dicker? Actually, no bartering necessary. You offer me a price and chances are I'll accept it. I know this is the worst possible time of year to be doing this in the worst possible economy but meh! -- marketing never was my strong suit (understatement). Only two strict rules: (a) you pay shipping and (b) I will not pay you to take them off my hands! :) Please email me if you are interested in a painting.

NOTE * With the exception of Paratii and Greens, these photos were all taken before I had a decent digital camera and the quality is not the best. I can re-photograph them if you want a more detailed look.

KIWIS AND GRAPEFRUITS: 14" x 18" acrylic on canvas panel SOLD

I am very fond of this one as it is one of my earliest paintings (2001) after I quit teaching to return to painting.


POPPY: 14" x 18" acrylic on canvas panel SOLD

SKW'UNE-WAS: 11" x 14" acrylic on stretched canvas SOLD

This is a painting of a traditional
Haida Big House, near Squamish, where I stayed with my son five years ago.


SALTSPRING WOOD: 12" x 9" acrylic on masonite panel SOLD

This was painted en plein air on beautiful Saltspring Island, home of such noteworthy artists as Nick Bantock and Robert Bateman









GREENS
: 8" x 8" x 1.5" acrylic on cradled wood panel
SOLD

PARATII: 21" x 10" x 1.5" acrylic on 3 - 5" x 7" canvas panels and framed triptych-style SOLD

This is also an early painting (2001) and won Honourable Mention at a juried exhibition. If you would like to see individual images just email me.























IONA DRIFTWOOD
: 9" x 12" acrylic on canvas panel
SOLD

IONA SAND AND WOOD: 9" x 12" acrylic on canvas panel PAID FORWARD (see post above)

I WISH I WAS THE FISH: 11" x 14" mixed media on canvas attached to doorskin board

The title is a quote from Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea.


THE FISH WAS SILVERY: 16" x 20" x 1.5" mixed media on gallery-wrapped canvas (image extends around edges) SOLD

The title is also a quote from Hemingway's
Old Man and the Sea.


DANCE OF THE SUGARPLUM GECKOS: 20" x 24" x 1.5" acrylic on gallery-wrapped canvas (image extends around edges)

9 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Grant said...

how much for the pastry cutter painting?

16/1/09 5:45 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Wonderfully varied offering!

And yet also still all very you.

17/1/09 12:35 a.m.  
Blogger jafabrit said...

oh a garage sale online and with yummy work, what a cool idea.
All the best with it.

17/1/09 7:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These were so fun to look at! I think I've only seen your current stuff. That poppy one is my favorite and the driftwood ones remind of O'keefe.

Much love,
a.

17/1/09 7:35 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh. Ive been busy siftong through receipts for tax purposes, too. It's not pretty. (You art is, though.)

17/1/09 5:15 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Michelle: I'll trade it for your camera. D'oh! I don't need to!

Caro: At first I thought you wrote wonderfully weird -- which would also be very me. :)

Jafa: Thanks. It's more fun than I ever imagined. I may have to do this every year.

Andie: I am a fan of Georgia for sure and it's her bones that I like best.

Citizen: Never is, is it? Except if you're, say, Picasso or Jung I suspect.

17/1/09 7:12 p.m.  
Blogger Tracey said...

What a great idea, I think you may know more about marketing than you realize ;) I love SKW'UNE-WAS, the colors as so fresh!

20/1/09 5:25 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks, Tracy. Is this the secret key to marketing d'you think..?

20/1/09 8:28 p.m.  
Blogger Vickie said...

What a wonderful idea and way to market! I see many sold signs.

23/1/09 4:39 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home