moth 1 deconstructed
Because I love to see the evolution myself, here's the first Moth mini painting, each step scanned directly. The support is a cradled wood panel that I prime with a couple of coats of gesso.
- The first layer is an undercoat of purple acrylic paint.
- The next thing I do is a rough spatial division with white conte that I rub off later with water.
- After cutting out the moth's wings (I used magazine illustrations and wallpaper samples for this series) with an x-acto knife I adhere it to the panel with acrylic medium.
- I paint in the detail work first.
- Finally I paint in the flat areas. I finish with an isolation coat of matte acrylic gel medium and after that dries finish off with Golden polymer varnish, cut 50/50 with water. The final touch is a sawtooth hanger attached to the back.