Friday, October 17, 2008

drawing on the walls












Christopher Griffin is one of my favourite painters. His work has the primal quality of cave paintings and includes many of
the natural symbols and images that I find irresistable in their rawness, simplicity and strength.

This past week, while refocusing on doing house
portraiture in my own studio, I have discovered that Griffin has been doing real house art to his historical home/studio in Ottawa. "Using a bone from an emu-like bird called a casuary, Mr. Griffin began scratching images similar to those that might be found on a cave wall: caribou, fish, birds, flowers, the sun" into the partly-set concrete on the exterior walls of his major house reno. Check out the whole article here.




8 Comments:

Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

I love that horse! I will definitely have to check out more of his work. Thanks for the exposure, Andrea!

17/10/08 4:01 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Yep! I love the horse, too. And if someone painted that whale on MY wall I'd give him/her whatever sh/she wanted!

17/10/08 9:57 p.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

That is pretty cool.

I'm sorry but I cannot hear the word Ottawa without hearing,

"This is Lotta Hitschmanova of the Unitarian Service Committee, 56 Sparks Street, Ottawa."

Can I get a witness!

17/10/08 10:58 p.m.  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

I hear ya, Donn! I remember that voice all too well. Funny how some little things like that stick in your brain forever...

18/10/08 4:31 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Ponygirl and Donn, just carry on without me. Dinah and I will go for a drink.

18/10/08 4:58 p.m.  
Blogger LDahl said...

You have to admit it takes guts to quickly scratch a design in the half dry concrete of your house. Talk about living with your mistakes! :))) Looks like he's pulled it off well though.

18/10/08 9:46 p.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

wow! very cool. I'd love to live inside a shelter like that!

21/10/08 7:03 a.m.  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

Wow! I can see why you like this guy's work, and what an awesome thing to do to his house! Definitely screams someone create lives here.

22/10/08 5:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home