Wednesday, October 31, 2007

trick or treat



This year's jack-o-lanterns aren't the most original, but Morton liked the existential one.

And this may look like Zappa is dressing up for the festivities but unfortunately not. He's wearing a pair of cast-off penguin boxers with a hole cut out for his little stub-o-tail to keep him from licking a nasty hot spot on his hip. Along with this stylish home remedy comes a cocktail of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, which can be diuretic. This morning Zappa was one of the only dogs who could ever say he'd 'wet his pants.' Fortunately he's incapable of embarrassment. His emotional arsenal is limited to deliriously happy and scared out of his wits. And because of the latter he also gets a dose of Valium tonight when the neighbourhood will be overrun by happy little pyromaniacs.

Finally, I did do an illustration for Illustration Friday on the weekend but it was so tacky, in a black-velvet-Elvis kind of way (even though that was the point), that I chickened out of posting it, but since it's Hallowe'en today ~ what the heck! This is the rarest of the rare: a figurative illustration. I never do people, even ones with collagen-enhanced lips and silicone-enhanced 'bosoms', unless it's masks (ask your shrink to explain it).

TRICK OR TREAT: Eve, the local tart-with-a-heart, offers Adam a selection of her wares.

Happy Hallowe'en!

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love, love, love pets pics.
Happy Halloween to you too!

31/10/07 4:29 p.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

Poor Zappa. The boxers are a good idea - although I think Jack would still try to lick/chew through them when he gets a flea-induced hot-spot. (He looks very cute. Even with limited emotional range). :-)

31/10/07 5:46 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Oh, Zappa, you poor old fella! But at least your people are doing the right thing.Rusty's very pleased that fireworks here are banned, except licensed pyrotechnical displays for posh weddings and what-nots.

And Dinah says that IF piece is so tacky it's art!Woo-hoo!

31/10/07 7:07 p.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

A trick would only be a treat if it was a freebie. The downside is that a trick might turn into something that had to be treated at a Clinic!

1/11/07 7:45 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Poor Zappa (love the name because Frank was one of my heroes). My border collie used to get hotspots chronically in the summer. Hard to get rid of.
On the other hand, because I'm a base and salacious peroson, I've fallen in love with Eve. Happy All Saints Day, or Day of the Dead if you're a Malcolm Lowry buff.

1/11/07 7:56 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Tori: In that case you must love Cute Overload.

Tara: He did lick the boxers. Not too bright. :)

Dinah: Now *you* know art!

HE and Ian: Thank God for you two! Most people have managed to studiously avoid commenting on Eve (or commenting at all) because she's just too ... too ... but you two have a sense of humour. I could hug you both.

1/11/07 8:11 a.m.  
Blogger Alda said...

Very fetching, that Zappa.

I like the Eve, too. Strange - I've never seen Eve portrayed as a modern Femme Fatale, although it makes perfect sense.

1/11/07 2:42 p.m.  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

chuckle :-)

1/11/07 6:20 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

stella does not wear boxer shorts but she takes pills...

i like the legs and shoes on this tart-with-a-heart. and i like your signature...

1/11/07 7:19 p.m.  
Blogger Paula In Pinetop said...

Oh Wow. This is really different from the other work I've seen you do.

Interesting that you say you don't do people. I've been struggling with the "face" issue for some time now and I'm at the "throw in the towel" stage. I really struggle and have pretty much decided that figurative/portrait type stuff just isn't my thing.

Love the dog post as well. Those boxers are stylin' !!!!!

2/11/07 6:32 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Alda: Isn't he, though? As for Eve, I doubt this is the first time she's been portrayed as a prostitute but then again it might be considered sacrilege to do so so I may be wrong.

Jan: :)

KJ: Ladies never wear boxers. Well, sometimes.

Paula: I used to do figures a lot and liked life drawing but the subject matter just doesn't interest me. What does that say about me as a human I wonder?

2/11/07 9:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home