Wednesday, September 06, 2006

shopkeeping

I have a few bits and pieces to shop-talk about today. First of all, if you happen to live in the Vancouver area and like photography exhibitions, visit the Surrey Art Gallery (a public/museum space) for the juried exhibition Beyond Belief. I have yet to see it, even though the first photograph I have ever submitted to a juried show was accepted, much to my surprise and delight. There's more on this page. If you scroll down there is also information on new additions to the gallery's permenent collection and an image of one of Jack Shadbolt's paintings. He is a legend in western Canada for both his groundbreaking art and his extensive philanthropic work. I am a huge fan and actually met him once, when he did a tour of the studios when I was a visual arts student at UVic. He commented on the painting I was working on but I was far too awed and intimidated to remember what he said!

Secondly, I am joining fellow blogger, talented artist and all-around nice-person Albina McPhail in the eQuinox Gallery at artstream for an upcoming exhibition starting a week Friday. Neither of us can actually make it (Albina, that cow, will be in Spain and Morocco) so our work will have to do the talking. I'm hoping Susan (check out her beautiful work, too) will post photos of the show when it's hung at her always-educational and interesting blog.

Finally, "The Guardian announced that it is joining forces with The Saatchi Gallery to create the first reader-curated contemporary art show, featuring emerging new talent from across the globe. Your Gallery at The Guardian will take place from 24-28 October in the Guardian Newsroom. Readers can vote for their favourite work from a selection of 30 contemporary artists nominated by our judging panel. Ten will be chosen for exhibit in October." I was one of probably thousands of artists invited to create a page but didn't make the final nominations cut. You can see my page here and check out the finalists or create your own page here. More about London's Saatchi Gallery is here. The virtual tour is definitely worth taking.

Since you're probably suffering from link overload by now I decided to tone things down and prevent Joe Cocker from coming in the bathroom window any more in order to make room for some synth-pop nostalgia. Cheers.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bibi said...

I'm going to check out Surrey_G when I'm up there next week. Love the new look / links / music! You've been busy ;-) ~v

6/9/06 11:33 a.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

Congrats on all the exhibiting! Your work is so perfect for that. (I loved the page you put together for "Your Gallery...". It has such impact when you see a number of your pieces together).

You sound plenty busy.

6/9/06 10:08 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Bibi: Would love your feedback after you visit. Maybe I'll have been there by then. :)

Tara: I have been busy -- on everything except painting! :( ...and thanks.

Magic Door: Albina is a truly magical being!

7/9/06 9:05 a.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Wow! You will have a BIG Fall! Glad to read that! You're so talented! (I am always telling you the same thing...) :)))

7/9/06 9:14 a.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

thank you dear andrea for this lovely mention! and now that i have taken most of the day off for NAPPING, (last night was exhausting) I will be thinking of arrangements and spacing for the works. Your work was seen by some of our guests last night -- peeking around the corners and asking, what's next... EVERYONE loved it! Big time!
we will be doing a lot of promo next week on the whole process of hanging and such. No worries!Stay tuned!
susan

7/9/06 5:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home