Thursday, August 31, 2006

the scream

Munch's masterpiece The Scream was found today, two years after it was cleverly lifted in broad daylight from the Munch Museum in Oslo. What I didn't know was that this stolen painting is only one of four 'screams' that Munch painted. Obviously he found the subject as compelling as the rest of the art world, not to mention art world criminals who seem to have a penchant for the painting(s) (think Lillehammer 1994).

Me, too. This painting taps into something primal that I find endlessly compelling. What is it? And whatever happened to the institutionalized version of this fascination? John Lennon did Primal Scream Therapy.

Tears for Fears created music and even got their name from it.

But Primal Therapy (the correct name apparently) has definitely dropped off the radar in recent years. Until now, that is. You don't even need to leave the comfort of your desk chair to reap its benefits. I mean, how 2006 is this?

Scream is a software application to facilitate screaming. Scream sits quietly in your computer's system tray and automatically springs into action when it detects a scream. Scream disturbs your Windows interface. But it isn't aimed just at computer frustrations. In a world where "anger" is paired with "management," Scream encourages the return to prominence of the lost art of screaming. As Howard Beale said in 1976, "I don't have to tell you things are bad.... all I know is that first you've got to get mad." But whereas Howard advised his viewers to turn their television sets off to get mad, Scream proposes that you leave your computer on.

Check out the website for more.

8 Comments:

Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I just finished listening to the whole song in your link, "Shout". And then I scrolled down right after and listened to, "everybody wants to rule the world". Awesome tunes.
In a decade which may never be surpassed for quality and rapid change across the board, Tears for Fears are easily in the top ten...and that is no small feat.

I'm not sure when the whole men's primal gathering in the woods to beat drums and howl at the moon started, but it sure would fit this whole scream thing. You don't hear anything about those guys anymore, do you? I think maybe they changed their name to Promise Keepers.

31/8/06 6:05 p.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

I think this lot may have tapped into something here. I reckon a scream-a-thon is just the ticket.

31/8/06 11:20 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

yikes, andrea. this is one aid i do not need. i scream perfectly well when i need to. i whine perfectly well also.

have a good weekend!

kj

1/9/06 7:48 a.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

How funny is that? :-)

For me, I've decided that roller coasters do the job when I need to experience some heartfelt, cathartic screaming!

1/9/06 11:07 a.m.  
Blogger murphy girl said...

appropriate that i came across your post only moments after discovering that my latest (in a long, frustrating line) attempt to get my cat to pee IN the litter box rather than on the floor next to it has failed.....so, where do i get this scream therapy?

love the texture in your safe, glad you are posting again!

2/9/06 7:18 a.m.  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

an interesting and informative post. i always learn something new when i visit your site

3/9/06 10:30 p.m.  
Blogger Bibi said...

I didn't know they'd found the Scream ... one of my all time fave paintings (probably 'cos it depicts how I feel most of the time ;-D )

6/9/06 11:35 a.m.  
Blogger Aaron Paquette said...

Interesting, as always. I have no idea how you manage to put out so much writing and work and children!

6/9/06 3:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home