Sunday, August 13, 2006

art walk

Yesterday I did something that I've never done before: an art walk. I didn't even know what an art walk was exactly. I guess I haven't been to many small-town summer arts festivals and when I have, I've tended to bypass the wall of landscapes and florals, tended lovingly by the members of the local sketch club, to make a bee-line for the food. Bad attitude, I know. But since the invitation to join the artists at Cloverdale's Blueberry Festival arrived in my mail box and I had a free day, why not?

The art displays were uniformly competent and pleasant, with one or two noteworthy exceptions. But the entertainment was surprisingly disappointing: no food (with the exception of baskets of blueberries and an ice cream truck) so I pretty much starved, and the live entertainment was, well, not. It was like watching parodies of old reruns of Hee Haw. I guess I really am a city girl at heart. Vancouver has expanded so much in the past couple of decades that I thought Cloverdale might have been absorbed, but apparently not, which is actually kind of refreshing.

There were two exceptional highlights to the day: I got to meet Ernie, a retired veteran whose wife died of leukemia last year. I tended his painting of lilies while he sat at his booth and sold copy after copy of his charming book illustrating historic barns in western Canada. He did all the artwork and research for the book and he's donating 100% of the proceeds to the Leukemia Society.

And when it was all over except for the crying, I walked away with second prize and a cheque for $100 thanks to the excellent judging :) by the Arts Council of Surrey. The first prize of $200 went to the well-deserving Daniel Tibbits and his painting Mass Machine.

When's the next art walk?

19 Comments:

Blogger Alcuin Bramerton said...

An art walk is exploring outside the lines. Food doesn't matter. Stop thinking belly. Think heart.

13/8/06 9:05 a.m.  
Blogger kj said...

gotta have some food to sustain the meandering. gotta at least be able to smell sausages with onions and peppers, even if you'd never partake.

just one girl's opinion :)

13/8/06 9:29 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great job, love the painting. Well done!

13/8/06 11:15 a.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

So yeah, why not??? You're $100 richer, you got more exposure, you helped the leukemia guy...

Great painting, btw...I gotta buy somethin at some point, those bright colours and images just do the trick.

13/8/06 11:55 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Hey! Congratulations:> It's fun to win money! It sounds like you had a good day, even without an extensive food selection. Might not the name of the festival been a tip-off that you should have packed some snacks?

13/8/06 1:42 p.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

congratulations! money works for me... glad you had a nice day out... we too have been experiencing lovely weather here! nice painting too by the way!

13/8/06 2:43 p.m.  
Blogger Bibi said...

Sounds as though you had fun too! I love to go to art walks (although I only spend money at them, not make it ;-)

13/8/06 2:53 p.m.  
Blogger Calvin said...

I hate to say it but you would hate Winston Salem. :(

http://www.sawtooth.org/

13/8/06 6:48 p.m.  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

You are funny! I enjoyed your writing as much as the images on this post. Congratulations on your prize. Did you spend it all on dinner after starving all day while listening to hee-haw music (which would be a good appetite supressant!).

13/8/06 9:46 p.m.  
Blogger albina said...

This is way cool -- your post and your prize. Did you had some blueberries? say you did...

13/8/06 10:12 p.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

NO FOOD? How do they expect people to manintain an appreciation for the higher things when their lower impulses aren't catered (hah!) for?

13/8/06 10:28 p.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

Congrats on the rewarding acknowledgement! (It's a *very* nice painting. The more I look at it, the more I like it).

We have 'art walks' here - but they are in the cities/towns. Once a month, all the galleries stay open late and you can walk from gallery to gallery seeing the new showings. And they *do* serve snacks! Wine, cheese, crackers and fruit mostly - but it keeps you sustained with all that strenuos walking and art viewing!

13/8/06 11:17 p.m.  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

Nicely done, Andrea!
No food and entertainment... they're taking the concept of the starving artist a bit too far, don't you think?
Next time, pack a picnic basket.

14/8/06 1:06 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Alcuin: Food matters. Think stomach only.

KJ: You tell Alcuin.

MRS & Susan: Thanks!

WW: I agree on all counts! :)

Carla: Festivals are licenses to print money as far as food goes I would've thought. Blueberry pies, maybe?

Bibi: I promise not to be a snob about them from now on! :)

Calvin: You mean re. the art that is popular there? I saw a few good things on the site.

Jana: It was! But you should've seent the plate of spaghetti I had for dinner...

Albina: I have been eating blueberries at least once a day for over a month now. I *love* blueberry season.

Kyk: You may have it backwards ~ ! :)

Tara: That is a city/town/gallery thing that you're describing -- and something I'm more familiar with. Thursday evenings are gallery evenings here but they're not called art walks. (At least I don't think they are...)

Chitty: You'd think and I will!

14/8/06 7:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrea, That is fabulous ! Thankfully you had decided to take part.You just never know what will take place.I think being out there showing your work as much as possible can never be a bad thing, only good can come of it ! Congratulations ! :)

14/8/06 7:50 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Still sounded like fun even though there was hardly any food. But you are right blue berry pie would have been good.
CONGRATULATONS!! on the second place bravo.
Hope it restores confidence in what you are doing.

14/8/06 3:50 p.m.  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Ernie sounds like a nice guy. And I'd rather have your art on my walls than Daniel's.

15/8/06 12:19 p.m.  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

That is your painting that Alex liked best, and wanted to buy over the one I did buy. Is it still available?

24/8/06 9:47 p.m.  
Blogger Alex said...

Belinda was right, I do love this painting. If I had won the argument, this painting would be over our fireplace instead of the almost as wonderful (IMO) Impossible Vacation.

I just love it.

29/8/06 8:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home