Saturday, September 02, 2006

housekeeping

Labour Day weekend has always been the most bittersweet of holidays for me, especially as I've spent most of my life as either a student or teacher. You'd think that now, with my kids going back to school and not me and the prospect of being able to get back to work properly I'd be over the moon ... but I hate structure, much as I seem to need it. I seem to be in a state of mild panic for ten months of the year, running at least five minutes late and always forgetting something. I also think that that many years of conditioning can't be undone just like that.

To overcome the seasonal angst, absolutely nothing is planned. The weather is beautiful, I have a diverting and funny Nick Hornby novel thanks to the recommendation of Swamp Grrl, even if it is about four people on the verge of committing suicide. (And I'm not surprised to see it's already in pre-film-production considering the success of both High Fidelity and About A Boy.) I have spent the afternoon at the kitchen table, tinkering with my sidebar, re-organizing it a bit and adding a couple of audio toys while drinking tea from my favourite tea-time-at-the-bordello cup. After all, I have to keep up with the Joneses (a couple of my favourite blogs), and though I chose music to suit my melancholy mood this time, I spent enough time adding videos to my videocure.com collection that I'll be able to assault their ears properly next time.

And finally, I have added something light to small art. Time to go and not make dinner.

14 Comments:

Blogger justin said...

Wow, you've been busy, Andrea - looks as though you've been working non-stop since you came back from holiday. I love the colour scheme you've chosen for your home, and the streaming video looks good too - I'm amazed by the clarity of such a small screen.
Thanks for letting me know the URL of the mosaic-maker - I'll have a go at using it soon.

2/9/06 11:22 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey andrea! looks like you had a fantastic holiday, just the type of thing we enjoy too :) you were commenting on my blog about your puppyish 7 year old dog....we have one of those too! our first dog fooled us into thinking that all vizslas were mellow like him....so we got another one! and of course got the perennial puppy who can't go to soccer games and barks constantly (though we finally broke him of that). he's also 7 :) they should all be as mellow as shiraz, but it keeps life interesting doesn't it? have a great one!

3/9/06 5:01 a.m.  
Blogger TheTart said...

I love the colours of your kitchen ... it looks like your art!
If you still want to tinker ... I hear some people are moving over to Blogger Beta.
It has some issues, but also has some neat additions.

Have a great weekend!
Smoochez,
The Tart
; *

3/9/06 11:38 a.m.  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Gosh! You picked me. That's the best thing that has happened all weekend. Thank you so much x

I love your musical choice. I've not heard of Tragically Hip before but I like the vibe.

I'm currently drinking fom one of my large Didrooglie mugs and as soon as I can figure out what's wrong with my camera ( I'm thinking batteries, anything more technical and I'm buggered), I will take a picture and return the compliment, because you really are worth it. xx

3/9/06 1:30 p.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

What time are you expecting us to NOT EAT dinner with you ?

3/9/06 4:45 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Justin: Looking forward to your mosaic experiments.

Stacey: I love the name Shiraz. Do you have a Zinfandel, too?

Tart: I'm running out of options here (though I could start tinkering with the actual template, except I like Blogger's simple, basic design) so I'll probably give it a try. Are you going to try it?

Cherry: You might call it 'cherry picking' :) (because you're so kind) The Tragically Hip are an old established Canadian band who have never done much beyond these borders. What does it say when they fail where Celine Dion triumphs? Very sad. I'm so glad you like the mug. They did a great job with it I thought.

Joyce: Don't come at 7:00.

3/9/06 7:39 p.m.  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

I wish that my computer area was that clean!!

3/9/06 10:28 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Ascender: That's my kitchen table, not my computer area. Now, if you'd like to descend into the dungeon...

4/9/06 6:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey grrl...
thanks for linking me! "long way down" kept
me going during my rainy vacation.

i definitely get the blues on labor day weekend too. some people get ecstatic over the smell of freshly sharpened pencils and the feel of nylon-y new backpacks. but i get funky, as in a funk. a good time for no structure, indeed.

4/9/06 8:22 a.m.  
Blogger Sally said...

Bittersweet is right. Summer officially ends on Labor Day weekend here as we start school the day after Labor Day. The leaves are turning, the air is different, on the cusp of fall. While I love fall, the colors, the coolness, I don't love how brief it is - winter seems to last the longest in Minnesota. Fall is the briefest of seasons. Spring and Summer merge into one season.

4/9/06 1:11 p.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Wow, Andrea, I'm amazed and honoured...thanks.

Not surprisingly, your place is the most colourful and artfully warm and bright around...really love the way it looks AND sounds and the sense of being here.

As far as Labour Day weekend, I know just what you mean. It was a gorgeous 29 or so here today but you know that isn't going to last long...

And that free and easy summer feeling is fading, fading, fading...

4/9/06 7:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh School time again ! :) Love listening to the Tragically Hip music while I'm here visiting, one of my favorite bands.

5/9/06 5:06 a.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Joe Cocker!!!!

You rock!!!

5/9/06 7:15 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

WW: Yes, had to switch from the mellowness of the Hip tune to something a little more invasive. I saw Joe Cocker in concert too many years ago to mention. Love his spasmodic live persona.

6/9/06 9:58 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home