Thursday, November 10, 2005

etch a sketch

I was watching the local news while making breakfast yesterday morning and there was an interview with a woman who is an Etch-A-Sketch artist. Then, later in the day, Rudy coincidentally emailed me this link to her and her work. This, of course, caused me to do a little on-line sleuthing. There are some Etch A Sketch programs on-line so you can relive -- virtually -- your creative youth, and way more Etch A Sketch artists out there than is believable (just do an image search). I'm sure not one of them. As a kid, I was so frustrated by my smug, red TV wannabe that after creating crap for less than five minutes, I'd throw it at the wall. It was like the manufacturer had invented the perfect instrument to create humility in the fledgling artist: "So, you think you're good, eh? Let's just see if you can master me!" The Etch A Sketch won every time.

5 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

andrea i must say i never felt that happy with what i created on the etch a sketch. I am not crazy about spending a lot of time on something and than with a quick turn of the wrist it is shaken away. But maybe i should try it now as an adult and see. if you notice i am using great restraint with my usage of exclamation points. I keep noticing in my replys I use them all the time. I just feel passion when talking about art and writing. p.s. don't think me a dope i was able to figure wv out all on my own...

10/11/05 10:12 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I had one and found it frustrating too...
horrid things!

10/11/05 10:14 a.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

But you overcame the damned thing and went on to create beauty. I (and many like me) got totally beaten into submission.

11/11/05 3:08 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

That thing used to drive me crazy! I never really liked the quality of the drawings - those grey, spindly lines - and I wasn't any good at it anyway. Now...give me a Magic Slate any day!

11/11/05 6:43 a.m.  
Blogger Tony Truong said...

man, i loved that thing! once i figured out how to do diagonals (rotate both dials at once) I couldn't put the toy down. lol. anyhow, take care now. ciao.

20/11/05 8:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home