Monday, August 08, 2005

the fields breathe sweet






















We have lift off! Here is the final product of my little blogging experiment. It was great to return to this way of painting and I had a lot of fun after the grind the fish were becoming towards the end. This particular process, style and imagery I consider to be the culmination of several years' work and rumination, and I plan to continue in this vein into the fall and winter.


About a year ago I decided that when naming my more "poetic" paintings I would go straight to the source: artists whose medium is words. So after I finish a painting I search through poems to find a phrase that best illustrates what I'm trying to say (and always credit the poet). "The fields breathe sweet" is from "Spring, the Sweet Spring" by Thomas Nash.

6 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

Oh...this is beautiful. I found the poem online and read it. What a truly lovely companion your painting is to the poem!

8/8/05 3:47 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thank you Carla and Johann. I was pleased with how this turned out and am dying to get onto another... just have to get me some more canvas!

9/8/05 8:11 a.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Superb! You really knocked our socks off with this one.

9/8/05 11:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you said you are going to "fill in" the background divisions, I was not quite sure what you meant.
The end result is more beautiful than I had anticipated and I like the title too.

10/8/05 1:09 a.m.  
Blogger andy said...

I'm sorry to have missed this wonder unfurling whilst I was away, but at least I didn't have the tense excitement of waiting for the denouement!

I'd love to understand more about the process of conception and creation - that final step is spectacular!

12/8/05 3:27 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for the great feedback. The hardest thing with this process is picturing the final result. Sometimes I hit it right, sometimes I struggle. This one was an unusually easy one to complete for some reason. Maybe because I had it germinating (appropriate!) for so long.

12/8/05 4:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home