Tuesday, September 01, 2009

wild hill country 3


There's quite a dramatic change between yesterday and today even though the only major work I did was (a) paint the birds, deer and hoofprints, and (b) paint the backgrounds of the cool-toned areas (behind the deer, birds and leaves). It now looks like a dark, cool-toned painting but that will change again as tomorrow's job is to finish off the lighter, warm-toned areas. Many moons ago, when I painted in oils, I liked to create fresh-looking gradations by blending the paint directly on the canvas. I still do that to some extent with acrylic paint, as you can see in the pale blue and pale green sections, but have learned to work very rapidly because the paint dries so quickly.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

It's coming along nicely! Having spent time in the Texas Hill Country (I lived down that way for two years) this is interesting as I watch the metamorphosis evolve.

1/9/09 10:08 p.m.  
Blogger Laure Ferlita said...

Love the changes! It always amazes me to see the drastic changes some pieces of art goes through before it comes to it's final version and I think it's too bad others can't see that metamorphosis take place!

They're missing half the fun!

2/9/09 2:46 a.m.  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Just catching up after a little time away. This one is really shaping up. And I wonder what was up with the "friend" - FB is an odd place.

2/9/09 2:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love seeing the progress on this painting. I'm way to busy with the trade shows to do anything creative so I enjoy watching what others do.

2/9/09 8:14 a.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

Beautiful! Interesting you work with layers of cool and warm tones in sequence. Can't wait to see the finished piece. It makes me want to rent a cabin somewhere. Are all the elements here chosen because they are part of the Texas landscape?

2/9/09 10:33 a.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

I like both versions of your paintings and am sorry the other one wasn’t wanted since the skull was so powerful. Love, love, love your colors! With the over-the-top temperatures we’ve had in Texas since May, perhaps you could have left the strong underpaintings of orange and red in place!

2/9/09 2:08 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Ponita: Where exactly did you live?

Laure: It's one of the fun parts about being an artist, isn't it?

SAW: I guess "friend" is a little too generous a term now! :)

Laura: Busy season almost over?

Ellen: Yes -- all from reference photos of the region (except the deer, though they are there).

Gina: Check out the finished version! Warm colours are back! (BTW this piece is destined for a San Antonio hotel spa).

2/9/09 6:10 p.m.  
Blogger Tracey said...

wow so cool, I can't believe the color changes from this to the final piece, very cool! So different from watercolor!

3/9/09 9:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home