Saturday, August 29, 2009

wild hill country 1

It's been donkey's years since I posted a series of 'real time' work-in-progress posts so I think it's time I took another crack at it. It might actually be more interesting this way and if it is, then maybe it'll inspire me to do more, um, inspired blogging. I've drifted away this past year and, as a result, so have my readers. (To those who still drop in now and then: I lurve you. Please comment. Don't make me grovel.)

So, it's back to work on the Texas Hill Country commissions. (I talk about the project here.) This is the first stage: cutting down and attaching the paper to an appropriate surface for support (a 30" x 40" stretched canvas in this case) then masking the image area. As you can see on the top of the easel, I printed the mockup on my new inkjet printer. (It's just a cheapie for workaday purposes that we got as an added incentive when we got Greg his Canon Powershot for Christmas. I actually use his camera to take my in-studio photos -- like these -- because my Nikon D70 doesn't have a wide-angle lens.) Then comes the underpainting in a complementary colour scheme to the final painting. Seem strange? Stay tuned, my lovelies, and all will be made clear.

And, because someone requested a scale shot, here's me. Am I working in my underwear? Actually, it's my pyjamas, sort of. (And they even have little birdies on them.)

14 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I am still here checking in, and love to see the photos of your work in progress. Can't wait for more!

29/8/09 5:16 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Hi Julie! You know what... I actually spent some time with that little notepad you made today. I still can't bring myself to use it. I like it too much!

29/8/09 5:19 p.m.  
Blogger Julie said...

Go ahead, fill it up, if you run out of paper I'll send you another one!

29/8/09 5:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for work in progress!! Love the colours in this piece.

29/8/09 5:52 p.m.  
Blogger Laure Ferlita said...

Can't wait to see more!

29/8/09 5:54 p.m.  
Blogger Vic said...

Still checking in and enjoying your posts. You have a great photographic eye!

30/8/09 8:06 a.m.  
Blogger Tracey said...

Cool I am really looking forward to seeing the work in progress!

30/8/09 9:29 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for checking in and leaving a comment, Caity, Laure, Vic and Tracey. More to come!

30/8/09 8:21 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

I paint in my jammies too :) you are welcome to bathe anytime! Cool post and i look forward to more!

30/8/09 8:26 p.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I'm with you in regards to blog drift - and I still like checking in! ;) Life happens and moods change...I guess what I'm saying is that is okay too. That said, I do like seeing a scale shot of your work in progress. That's more than I have to show at the moment.

30/8/09 8:47 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda Dagg said...

Hi Andrea! I looking forward to seeing the end result. I love your bold colours.

30/8/09 11:53 p.m.  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Lovin' those colours! Can't wait to see it emerge!

31/8/09 8:48 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Val: And you can do it year round!

Cynthia: You have nothing to show? Well, get off your lazy butt then. Just sitting around, eh? :)

Amanda: Thank you -- and the final painting will be much less bold unfortunately.

Heather: Okey dokey. Just about to post part 2...

31/8/09 6:17 p.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

Pajamas are the only attire to work in as far as I'm concerned.

1/9/09 5:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home