Friday, November 30, 2007

creative thinking revisited yet again

Yesterday I had the fun of experiencing three examples of creative thinking at work. The first came in the morning post and was the promo kit I ordered from Welsh artist Peter Birch. I raised my hand when he asked if anyone wanted to see what he was up to in promoting his (relatively) newly-hatched career as a visual artist. As an info junkie on all things art marketing I was really curious to see (and steal from) his approach.

First of all, it came neatly packaged in a little 12 cm x 16 cm cellophane envelope -- easy to mail, easy to handle, easy to enjoy. Brilliant! It was like opening a present and included four photos of his work with all the pertinent info on the back, a photo of Peter sketching in Spain, an artist's statement (pithy, unencumbered by 'artspeak' and includes his inspiration and influences) and a business card. But best of all were a personal note and a little original mixed-media pendant that is very reminiscent of his vibrant abstract work. Thanks, Peter.
Next, number one son, Carl, came home from school with a Biology assignment: create a model of two strands of DNA. He took a paper towel tube and toothpicks and, using only a pair of scissors, white glue and paint, produced this awesome little creation. I rarely talk about my kids (two posts in a row now!) but this one is the Social Studies and Science whiz. A+ says this proud mama.
Number two son, Adam ("the one who excels at writing and art," brags that same annoying woman), brought home this amazing creature, a large clay lizard decorated in Australian aboriginal style. All his characters and creatures have this slightly over-the-top personality that I find completely irresistable.
And since we're discussing creativity, have I mentioned ME lately? :) I've been working away on these little archival prints-on-panel, then putting them in my shop as I finish them.

eden left

camel right
The ones I made yesterday are quite small and inexpensive. The materials and printing quality are second-to-none, and since I lost out on that amazing deal on an Epson R2400, I've been having them printed by the Pirate at Prints Ahoy in Glasgow (of all places). Don't you just love doing business in the global village?
Finally, it takes truly creative problem-solving to launch a couple of these without having to throw out the canvas and start again. We're still a work-in-progress but I expect the National Gallery of Canada to come calling in a few years:
carl and adam at nairn falls

11 Comments:

Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

I haven't received Peter's promo kit yet! Does Canada receive special treatment from the Welsh postal service?!:) I hope I get it soon because I can't wait to see it.

30/11/07 2:12 p.m.  
Blogger Cream said...

Andrea, this post is a like a breath of fresh air. You sound on top of the world.
BTW, my son is called Adam too...

30/11/07 4:58 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

beauties those boys look. Be proud! Oh and dont feel guilty about not blogging much it can become a bit of an addiction.

30/11/07 8:44 p.m.  
Blogger Merisi said...

I am seeing a global tour for these two gorgious creations!
How much did you have to pay for them allowing you to take a picture AND (!!!!) publish it?

I have an agreement with my kids (well, I admit that a bit of thumb screwing was involved), that on Christmas Eve they have to pose, otherwise no gifts. They religiously observe this rule.
Ah, once a year, ain't they sweet?

30/11/07 11:33 p.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow how lucky are you to have two talented and heart breaking (looker's) boys in your life?! Pretty damn lucky! I love the prints, I wish I didn't have to lug my stuff to the shop to have pictures taken for me, so the whole thing would be less expensive to produce. Those look amazing, and are stand alone works. Love that!

1/12/07 3:58 a.m.  
Blogger Alda said...

I know how hard it is to resist the urge to brag about one's brilliant offspring on the blog ... but in your case it sounds (and appears) perfectly deserved. Kudos to your two talented boys, and to you for raising them to let their light shine!

1/12/07 5:05 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Angela: It's an inside job; Wales and Canada are both Commonwealth countries. :)

Cream: Is Adam your first born by any chance? :)

Sarah: I rather like Carl's 15 year old scowl. I have often wondered what it would be like to have launched as many as you did!

Merisi: I love that idea! Must enforce it this year.

HMBT: I've been lusting after a better camera lately myself. A Canon digital Rebel would be nice. My "toy" dreams run to picture-making: printer and camera. Some day...

Alda: Thanks (and don't tell them they're featured here! :)

1/12/07 8:47 a.m.  
Blogger Peyton said...

WOW! Thanks for the kind comments! And as for your 2 sons ... STARS, both of them. The DNA thingy is amazing, and the lizard ... well I would buy it! It looks like some of your imagery come to life, doesn't it?

1/12/07 9:58 a.m.  
Blogger Peyton said...

WOW! Thanks for the kind comments! And as for your 2 sons ... STARS, both of them. The DNA thingy is amazing, and the lizard ... well I would buy it! It looks like some of your imagery come to life, doesn't it?

1/12/07 9:58 a.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Now I'm confused by the pix of your two boys. I thought they were both about 6-5 and blonde.

Duh.

1/12/07 4:04 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Peter: I'm so glad you noticed that! (I like to think I'm some sort of influence... :)

WW: Who says they're not? :) Carl, at 15, is 6'1" and not likely to get any taller than 6'2" and Adam is 5'9" at 13 and likely to also hit 6'2". And Carl's hair is not naturally that red! :)

2/12/07 9:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home