Monday, May 17, 2010

sweet silence


I'm pretty proud of the fact that I managed to finish this drawing. From a dog that got skunked on Friday and brought it inside (not to mention her resulting overnight bowel issues -- in the most difficult spots to clean! -- caused by ingesting that poison) to losing my studio entirely, to being so frustrated with the background that I was on the verge of tearing it into tiny pieces, this large-ish coloured pencil drawing almost never made it.

And here's the happy wanderer, post skunking, post vinegar/baking soda/dishwashing liquid and pre tomato juice bath. "I'm miserable! Let me in!"

5 Comments:

Blogger p said...

hope you dont mind i compare....when i first saw this i thought: Henri Rousseau. cool and surreal. i feel like i fell into a story.
your dog...poor thing.

17/5/10 10:23 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

so so beautiful, even the dog ;)

17/5/10 10:46 a.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

uggh. I don't know if I feel more sorry for you or the dog. awful lesson to learn.

Love these trees, esp. the little dancer in the middle. Light-rooted one, that. She's likely to go prancing off in the starlight.

17/5/10 6:55 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Paula: I don't mind at all! Rousseau is cool. And it does have a sort of old storybook illustration quality to it, doesn't it?

Val: Trust me, she's looked better! :)

Hayden: That's what I love about these trees. They're almost human in their shape and seem like they're moving even when standing still. AS for the lesson: I'm hoping the ordeal we all went through means the skunk won't be back and if it does return, Coco steers clear!

17/5/10 7:59 p.m.  
Blogger Lisa Riehl said...

Oh wow! I just love this one. I am soooo glad you didn't tear it to pieces. It's just lovely. Arbutus are my favourite trees, and they do look like they are dancing. Glad you hung in there.

And I have to say Poor You! I know how awful it is when our beloved dogs get into really stinky stuff! Rolling in dead seals on the beach is not quite a bad as skunk - you've got me beat!

19/5/10 5:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home