Friday, July 22, 2005

bonytail chub


This is it! I can't believe I've finally reached my goal of 20 paintings for my solo show. I spent almost the entire day yesterday producing this one, start to finish (and I can still feel the strain in my neck). I needed to finish by last night so I'd have enough time to add an isolation coat, let it dry, then add a varnish and let that dry before I cart them all off to Lambert's Gallery tomorrow morning.

The most rewarding yet frustrating thing about my progress with this series is the difference between the earlier ones and the later ones. I want to burn the early ones and paint new ones, but realise that this is the negative cycle of the perfectionist and if I allowed myself to do that it would feed on itself and never get finished. Better just to accept imperfection, no matter how glaring it is to me, and move on. I'm more than ready for a change anyway.

While I worked on this painting, #2 son was tracking me with his progress on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. He, too, had finished his project in under 10 hours.

Another lesson learned: never paint over cadmium red with white and expect it to remain white. Many coats later and it still looks pink...

6 Comments:

Blogger andy said...

Maybe I'm just a Philistine, or maybe I can blame it on the detail that gets lost in the conversion to a jpeg on a computer screen, but I couldn't see any imperfections - neither glaring nor any other kind.

But I accept you may be able to see a difference; after all, if you were learning and growing through the process then the paintings will reflect that. Each, then, is a perfect product of its own time and place. And perhaps an observer who is sufficiently astute to see the differences would also recognise the story they tell, and smile quietly to themselves in shared understanding.

22/7/05 11:51 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

"A perfect product of its own time and place." I love that. Can I use it?

22/7/05 3:36 p.m.  
Blogger andy said...

Yes, of course you can, Andrea :-) No need to ask.

23/7/05 12:24 a.m.  
Blogger andy said...

And another thing the astute observer might say: "What a wonderfully delicate, translucent shade of pink. The artist must have done something particularly subtle, like... umm... start with cadmium red and overpaint it with layers of white."
;-)

23/7/05 7:04 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

You're a glass half full kind of guy, aren't you? I like that. Maybe you're free to pop in to the gallery one day and persuade fence sitters to blow that wad on one of my paintings..?

23/7/05 7:11 a.m.  
Blogger andy said...

Well, thank you, Andrea. Yes, I guess I try to be... even though I may not always succeed. But my glass seems to be filling up lately - or to be more accurate, I'm noticing how full it is.

I'd gladly pop round, but if your paintings are still on the wall by the time I get to that side of the world any hope of sales will have long since vanished!

23/7/05 1:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home